- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 chicken (2 lbs) cut into serving pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 lb ripe tomatoes, diced, or one 14-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2-1 tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup pimentos, drained, or 1 red bell pepper, deseeded and diced
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and lightly brown the chicken. Remove the chicken and set aside. Add the garlic and stir fry until golden brown, then stir fry the onion until translucent. Return the chicken to the saucepan, add the tomatoes, bay leaves, salt, pepper and water, and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
Add the potatoes and simmer for 15 minutes, then add the pimentos and simmer for another 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve immediately.