The people of Southeast Asia love their meat and oxtail is a local favorite for soups and stews. This recipe has lots of ingredients that can be found right in your own grocery store, despite being authentically Filipino.
1/4 cup white vinegar 3-4 1/2 lb oxtail, trimmed of fat anc cut into 2 1/2 – 3 inch long pieces 3 Tbsp peanut oil 4 shallots, chopped up to 1 head chopped garlic, your discretion 1 tsp shrimp paste 1 tsp coarse sea salt 1 tsp ground tumeric 1 Tbsp black pepper 6-8 oz green beans, cut in half 6-8 oz cabbage, red or white, sliced 6-8 oz carrots, sliced into thin rounds
1 1/4 cups peanut sauce
1. Place the vinegar in a large bowl of water. Wash the oxtail in this mixture and then drain and dry with paper towels. Put the oxtail in a large pot and add enough cold water to cover. Bring to boil and cook for 5 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
2. In a saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat and fry the shallots, stirring often, until they start to color. Add the oxtail and cook for a few minutes, stirring often.
3. Crush the garlic, shrimp paste, and coarse salt together in a mortar, then add to the pan, along with the tumeric and pepper. Stir well, then add just enough cold water to cover the meat. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat, cover. Simmer for 2-2 1/2 hours until the meat is tender and the sauce is thick. Skim every half hour during the simmering. Add a little hot water when the cooking liquid gets too low.
4. Transfer the oxtail to an ovenproof serving dish and keep in oven on warm. Turn the heat to high under the saucepan and brind the juices to a boil. Cook uncovered for about 5 minutes or so, until the liquid is reduced by half.
5. At the same time, cook the vegetables in boiling water until tender and drain. Arrange the vegetables on top of the oxtail and keep hot.
6. Stir the peanut sauce into the mixture in the saucepan. Add up to 1/2 cup water for desired consistancy. Heat until just before the boiling point and immediately pour over oxtail. Serve with rice.
How visitors found this Filipino Recipe:
- kare kare panlasangpinoy
- kare kare recipe panlasang pinoy
- kare kare panlasang pinoy
- kare kare recipe tagalog
- panlasang pinoy kare kare
- kare-kare recipe panlasang pinoy
- oxtail in tagalog
- karekare recipe panlasang pinoy
- kare-kare panlasangpinoy