Yields 4 servings
2 Tbsp vegetable oil 3 garlic cloves, minced 1 large onion, finely chopped The meat from 2 pork chops, trimmed of fat and diced 1 Tbsp shrimp or anchovy paste 3 large tomatoes, diced 3 Japanese eggplants, tops removed, the flesh sliced into columns about 1 inch long 1 large bitter melon, top removed, sliced but unpeeled, cut into 2-inch pieces 1 cup water 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Salt to taste (may not be necessary if anchovy paste was used)
1. Heat the oil in a wok over medium-high heat and add the garlic and onion. Saute’ until the onion is limp.
2. Add the pork and continue to cook until it has browned; then stir in the shrimp paste and tomatoes. Reduce heat to medium and let mixture simmer, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes have softened down and lost their shape.
3. Add the eggplant, bitter melon, water and pepper. Cover and simmer until melon is tender, but still a bit crisp. Uncover and correct the seasoning, if necessary.
How visitors found this Filipino Recipe:
- bitter melon recipes filipino
- filipino bitter melon recipe
- filipino bitter melon recipes
- bitter melon filipino recipe
- easy filipino recipe with bittermelon